Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I was riding some where near Kengeri junction, when my phone rang. I hate to stop when I have picked up some pace, and particularly when my phone rings. I was wondering, who at this time would call me. It was 0420 hours, and I was on my way to Bidadi - my everyday's ride. Slowed my bike, and took out the phone to see my uncle's name flashing. He started his conversation saying "do you know what day is today ?" I was confused, and tried to recall what day was today, and realised that it was nothing but a friday, a wearing day, a day when most of us have a thin strengths' at office, and a day just away from kicking-off the week-end. I said its friday. He said "thats not it. Its one of the important day of your life". I was stuck, "important day ??!!". Once again started to recall - do I have any week-end rides, any trek this week-end, any photography plan ? But hell, it was none of them. I told him "sorry, I dont recall". By then he was all excited, and screamed over phone "moron, it your 17th year into cycling, you forgot ??" And I was like 'shit man, ne'er kept track of all this'., I dint know what to tell. I could just manage to utter, "give... give me sometime, will call you back later the day......uh....and thanks for reminding".
Slowly resumed my ride, trying to rewind 17 years, and see from where I started, and where am I, now. It was one helluva ride and experience, must say.
That day, was our school annual day...and one of my best friend in school was performing on stage, for the first time. We all were very excited - only to pull his legs from the first row. Ram's performance went on pretty well, and soon after that was the distribution of prizes for our sports day, which got concluded couple of weeks back. Ram had won first prize in 200m race, and once again we all were very excited. I was more excited because his dad had promised him to buy a new bicycle. Very next day, Ram, his dad and myself went to SJP Road, and his dad bought him a spanking new, brown color Hero Ranger. Hero Ranger in early 90s was every boy's dream. At that time, we had a very limited choices, like Hero Avon, BSA SLR, Hercules, and our good old doodh-wala bicycles. BSA SLR and Avon had quite a big frame (for big boys, and girls), thin tyres (compared to Hero Ranger, and other Hercules bikes), slightly curved handle bar...and overall a lean, sleek bicycle., like our road'ies (wow!! never thought at that time about today's beauties - roadi'es and beasts - MTBs).
From the store, Ram's dad hired an auto, sent us home, and he carried on his way to office. We both were on cloud nine. Another ten minutes, we were at home, and Ram's mother was readily standing near the door with flowers, turmeric powder, agarbathi's and two lemons. It was pooja time. He is from an orthodox Brahmin family, and aunty did a very detailed (long) pooja. She smeared turmeric powder all over the frame, handle bar, cables, the fenders - everywhere. From brown colored bike, it had turned to yellow. We ne'er bothered. All we wanted from aunty was - "kids, am done, be careful on road." After 5 gruelling minutes, pooja was done and first time in my life, I had an opportunity to touch a brand new bike. When we took the bike on the road, both were grinning, ear-to-ear. Neighbours, local shop-keepers, our particularly our other friends were thrilled to see a new bike in the lane. Best part was - at that time, Ram didnot know to ride a bicycle, I mean balancing and stuff. So he happily gave the bike to me - 'to take a round', and the worst part was - even I dint know how to ride.To avoid getting embrassed in public, I told him "dude, road is quite crowded, lets go to our play-ground, and ride there", and he happily agreed. That play-ground is three minute walk from where we stayed. All I knew was, how to get on the saddle from ground...thats it...balancing, balancing while pedalling, braking, and after stopping, how to balance - nothing. I had seen people on road doing all this simultaneously, and was wondering. When I got a chance, I was completely clueless. Anyways, we came to the play-ground, made sure no one is watching us, and then I held the handle-bar in both my hands, lifted my right leg, throwed it over the saddle, and stood on the ground. Reversed the pedal anti-clockwise, kept my right leg on the pedal, pushed the bike from my left leg, put a some pressure on my right pedal and off I go...slowly I picked up some pace, and saw the trees, lightpoles pass by. With every rotation I was gaining confidence, and Ram was running next to me, all excited, cheering me 'go, go'. After some 300-400 meters, there was a dead-end, I either had to stop, or take a turn. As soon as I saw the wall (dead-end), I got scared, dint know what to do...Ram was screaming - sometimes next to me, sometimes behind me - BRAKE, BRAKE!! but those words ne'er reached my brain. I happily went stright down at the wall, and with a thud, I fell down. Left knee, palm, and shoulder took some major bruises as the ground had loose soil, and was full of thorny shrubs and weeds. We were more worried about the bike - and by God's grace, there were only couple of very small scratches.Got up, wiped the dust and mud, ran to a nearby tap, cleaned my wounds, and there I was - ready to roll the bike. This time, I applied the brakes', but couldnot get off the saddle immediately...again thud, again on the left side, and again got bruised, again run to the tap, clean the wound, and again ready to roll the wheels...this time everything went on well - applying brake, getting off the saddle, proper balancing as soon as my leg touched ground, and finally coming to a stand still.
In my area we had couple of bicycle shops who gave bikes on rent for thirty minutes (fifty paise) to one hour (for one rupee). And these were real bad-a$$ bikes - no proper pedals, brakes - either front or rear used to work - I ne'er rode a rented bike with proper brakes. Just for name sake they were saddle...it was just a piece of leather or rubber attached to the seat-tube...you ne'er knew when that will fly off or fall and you end up sitting on the rod. To collect and save money for the bike rent, I used to visit my granny's, uncle's, relatives regularly, ne'er missed a get-together / function...and made sure that end of that week, I had atleast three to four rupees and spend half the day on bike. After saturday's school, me and Ram used to go to our regular bicycle shop and 'book' my bike in advance for sunday's ride. That cycle shop owner was a good man. He used to teach me lot of things that can be done on the bike. How to control the bike when you are pedalling fast, when someone or some vehicle crosses your path without any warning, how to avoid / control if you are on the verge of a fall...and stuff like that. I used to spend hours in his shop, helping (learning) with tools, punctures (flat's), bike servicing, lubing and what not. But this dint go for long. His father expired and he had to shift his family and shop to his native.
This is how my initial 'bike days' started, back in 1994. Down the line, when I came to high-school, I borrowed my uncle's Hero Avon. I was the fourth owner / rider of this bike. When my uncle was in his college days, back in early 80s, he bought this bike in Calcutta. When this bike came to me, it was atleast sixteen years old. When I was riding those rented bikes, I could not ride the bike for long distances. But once I got this bike, there was no stopping me. My uncle had seen me struggling with rented / borrowed bikes. He promised me that he would, one day, give his bike to me - all for myself. That day was November 1st 1999. Went to his home in Rajajinagar. He had given the bike for complete over-oiling and servicing (bike was not used for three months). Around 12 noon me and my uncle went the cycle shop to pickup the bike. This time I was on cloud-99. After a thirty minute of 'do and donts' from my uncle, mom, and the shop owner, I was free to ride the bike. This was the time when my 'long rides' started. I didnot know about Nandi, and / or other 'popular bike destinations'. All I knew was Bannerghatta and very well remember when I first rode to Bannerghatta. We group of friends had bunked our classes that day, a friday. Then started our ride at 8.30 from our school. By the time we reached we had three punctures (flats), and had to spend atleast fifteen to twenty minutes in each shop for fixing them. Bannerghatta is 28 kms from Bangalore, and if everything went on well, we should have reached by around 10.30...but because of these flats, we reached Bannerghatta around 12.15. By then it was very hot and sunny, we all were sweating like pigs. I came back home around 6pm that day. All the way back I was thinking and trying to make up my mind - to do these kind of rides every sunday (week-end was an alien word). By the time I reached home, I made myself ready for Bannerghatta ride every sunday, and there was another bike freak, Shankar, who accompanied me, close to two years.
Slowly I started to build my stamina. Everyday I rode my Avon like a maniac. I was kinda above average student in my school / college days, and hence was not allowed to spend much time on cycling. But still managed my Bannerghatta ride, without fail. There was another bug which bit most of us - the introduction of gear bikes. Hercules brought-in their Top Gear - a five speed bike. Later Hero went a step ahead, and brought Ranger Swing, with 18 speeds plus suspension. Those days we used to dream about gear bikes (like these days we dream about a full carbon bike). Local bicycle shop guys used to charge 500-600 bucks for setting-up gear to our desi-single speed bikes. Guys who could afford these, got the gears mounted on their bikes, and roam around...and those who couldnot (like me) would envy them. Once our school had a two week trip organised, and I enrolled myself for this trip. After the trip, when I came home, I saw my Avon full of dust, and spider-web around., worst part was - it had a flat. Waited for the next sunday, took the bike for fixing the flat, did a small ride around neighbouring blocks, and came back home. After having breakfast, when I went outside to take my bike, the rear wheel was again flat. I cursed that cycle shop guy for not fixing the hole properly. Was scared to go to my mom for money. So waited for another one week. To my luck, by next sunday, both the wheels were flat. This time mom saw the flat and gave me ten rupees to fix it. I got it fixed and was on the way to Bannerghatta. I had not even reached Hulimaavu junction, rear wheel was flat. I felt really very bad. I didnot have a single penny with me, this is the third time rear wheel is getting flat in the past 6 days. Bike started to show its age!! I had no choice but to tow the bike all the way home, in Chamrajpet. The week after that, again took the bike for a thorough checkup. Shop guy showed me the tube, it was completely worn out. He told it would cost thirty bucks for a good tube. I didnot had enough money with me, as I had put all my money to buy a cricket bat (cricket was / is another craze). I told that guy that I will come someother day and get it changed.
From then on, my hunt for a new bike started. This time I wanted a brand new bike, stright from the showroom. Once again my uncle promised me to buy a bike, once he comes back from Mysore (which was atleast four months away). I once again started renting the bike locally and ride. Finally the day came - my uncle directly went to Presidency Cycles on SJP Road, and bought me a blue, Hercules Oversize 9000 in the year 2000, summer. Once I got this bike, I completely changed my view of cycling. I started ripping on this bike, and had loads, and loads of fun. Started conquering new destinations - like Channapattana, Kolar, Tumkur and other places which was like around 60-70 kms, one way. And this happened for the next nine years, till April 2009. By the end of 2008 and onwards, I started hearing the big names in the Industry - Trek, Merida, Giant, UMF...so on. By March 2009, I had saved enough money to buy a big bike. I finalised, and bought Merida TFS 100 from Venky - the name, now synonymous with biking in Bangalore / India. A whole new era began for me. I never, ever expected that cycling for me, which started as a 'borrowed / rented' ride down to the next block, will grow this big and wide. Did my first Nandi, first Mysore, and many other firsts along with my first double century ride on my TFS (Anchetti Ghats, 231 kms). The love for these rides was never ending, and kept on getting better after every ride. I wouldnot say saturated, but at some point another bug bit me - a ROADBIKE. Even that came true on 21 Nov, 2009., when I bought my first roadbike - Colnago Primavera. Touched new heights on my Prima. In late 90s and early 2000s, Tour de France was aired on ESPN, and I used to dream about the race. Nine years down the line, I was riding one such bike (not actually used in the Tour), but ride a road'ie., which was solely MINE. But that didnot last long. A family emergency stuck us, and I had to sell off the bike for my granny's operation. With a heavy heart, sold my bike in Feb 2010. But the want for cycling didnot stop there. Third week of March, I was riding third 'super-bike' - a UMF Hardy4, bought from Naveen...and here I am, riding my UMF everyday to Bidadi, and week-ends to Nandi, Ramnagar, CAM rides and other places. Last month I met Ram after 6 years, and when he saw me, he was like "man, your passion for cycling is still not dead ? You really have come a long way from day I bought my Hero Ranger, to this day, when you are riding one of World's best bikes...this is great...way to go..."
I really cant believe that its been sixteen years of cycling. Been through hell lot of falls and accidents, bruises, fractures and what not... Right from Hero Ranger to Avon to Hercules to TFS and Prima to UMF. Its been an AMAZING ride.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, i too own a Hercules oversize 9000. I was thinking of upgrading it with an 18 or 21 speed gear system. Is it possible?

    ReplyDelete